During two days after the blast in Delhi high court, security agencies have received four emails claiming responsibility for the carnage and threatening more action on at least three targets — the Supreme Court and Narendra Modi’s Ahmedabad, and a shopping mall in the Capital.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh asked home minister P Chidambaram and law minister Salman Khurshid on Friday to call on Chief Justice of India SH Kapadia and beef up the security in the Supreme Court complex. The Modi government has also been alerted on the threat.
Chidambaram said in a press briefing of Friday that though there were promising, but not very convincing leads so far, all the emails were being taken seriously. The third received on Thursday night — investigators, however, suspect — was amateurish, as the coded target mentioned by it could be decoded in minutes.
The sender identified himself as Ali Saed El-Hoorie and sent the mail from the ID, ‘kill.india@Yahoo.com’. It also claimed to be from the IM and gave a numeric code for the identity of its next target that was decoded as Ahmedabad.
So far, the agencies have been able to nab the sender of the first email, Muhammad Sayeed Sheikh, in Kishtwar in Jammu and Kashmir for sending the first email which claimed that the Harkat-ul-Jehad-al-Islami (HuJI) was behind the blast.
Two more persons were detained in Srinagar. One of them, Farooq Ahmad, had visited the high court on the day of the blast. Farooq’s accomplice, Ejaz Ahmed, had also been under police surveillance for quite some time as he had made a suspicious call to Srinagar central jail after the blast.
Sheikh, an undergraduate student, got help from two more persons, Muhammad Imran and Ashiq Hussain, for drafting the email.
The fourth email was received by television news channels on Friday. It was sent from the same email ID, ‘email@example.com’, from which the second mail reportedly from the Indian Mujahideen was sent.
The sender claimed to be a member of the terror outfit held responsible for almost all the blasts took place in major Indian cities during the last few years. Investigators from the special task force of Kolkata Police suspect that the second email was sent from a mobile phone in the city. Video: 2 detained in J&K
Delhi distributes compensation to blast victims
Even as Delhi government on Friday distributed 41 cheques to the next of kin of the blast victims as compensation, several of the injured in the terror attack claimed that the amount was insufficient as they have been maimed for life.
AVM, Parliament Street, KP Suhag said that compensation has already been distributed to 41 relatives of victims including the 13 who died in the blast.
“We have distributed 41 cheques till now and are waiting to deliver more as many victims who have undergone treatment at the Delhi High Court dispensary need to be identified and given the cheques,” the AVM said. However, relatives of the patients were unhappy as they felt the amount delivered to them was insufficient in comparison to the nature of the injuries.