Commonwealth Games organising committee secretary general Lalit Bhanot and his colleague R K Sacheti were among three persons questioned on Tuesday by the CBI in New Delhi in connection with alleged irregularities in the conduct of mega sporting event.
The CBI also questioned Manoj Bhori, political advisor to OC head Suresh Kalmadi in connection with the scam.
CBI sources said that the officials were questioned at length about several contracts mainly related to overlays, hiring equipment and grant of work to a London-based company in connection with Queen's Baton Relay in 2009.
The trio were asked to clarify certain financial transactions made with CWG contractors and appointment of workforce for the conduct of the Commonwealth Games, they said.
The CBI had earlier conducted raids at the residences of Kalmadi, Bhanot, Sacheti, who is Joint director General of the OC, and Sangeeta Welingkar, member of the Games Image and Look Group.
The sources said that CBI sleuths have found that some of the crucial documents related to Games have either been destroyed or gone missing.
The CBI has filed three FIRs in connection with alleged irregularities in the Games. Bhanot has been named in a case relating to purchase and contracting of timer equipment used for the Games.
Earlier, the CBI had filed two FIRs for the contracting of AM Films and cars/vans for the Baton Relay ceremonies by the OC in London. It arrested joint director general T S Darbari and deputy director general Sanjay Mohindroo for their alleged complicity in these deals.
In a related move, CBI has decided to approach sports ministry to seek removal of Kalmadi and Bhanot from their posts to ensure a free and fair probe.