The molestation of two pre-school children by a school caretaker on Tuesday is not a one-off incident. Of late, there have been several such instances where the security of children have been compromised in schools.
But the police and administration seem helpless in the prevention of such incidents.
In September, a six-year-old girl had been sexually assaulted by the driver and conductor of a reputed public school in Vasundhara. The incident had led to a huge public outcry. Due to public pressure, the school authorities had finally admitted their mistake.
An inquiry had also been ordered by the district administration into the incident. However, the girl’s parents withdrew her from the school as they were not assured of child’s safety.
“Such cases are on the rise. The administration has to ensure that all kids, especially girls, are safe in schools. There is no fear of police among criminals.
School authorities must also be held responsible for the incident,” said col (retd) TP Tyagi of the Ghaziabad RWA Federation.
Acting swiftly, senior police and administration officials have already ordered an inquiry into Tuesday’s incident to be conducted by the district’s basic education officer.
“The inquiry will bring out all facts. If found guilty, action will be taken against school officials. We will also seek an explanation as to why no female caretakers were employed for the children,” superintendent of police (SP) SS Yadav told Hindustan Times. Police sources said that the accused has admitted to his crime.
Revealing more into the incident, senior superintendent of police (SSP) Prashant Kumar said though there were reports about two girls being molested, only one girl’s parents had filed a complaint.
“If anyone has more complaints, they can freely approach the police. As of now, there is no need for the girls’ medical examination,” the SSP added.