Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,28 Dec 2014

Defacement charges against AAP candidates, Kejriwal cries foul

Nivedita Khandekar, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, October 06, 2013
First Published: 00:32 IST(6/10/2013) | Last Updated: 18:31 IST(6/10/2013)

Accusing the Delhi police of targeting his party, Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday said the police have registered cases against two of the party’s candidates for putting up banners.

Advertisement

The police, however, refuted the charge. “There are a total of 18 FIRs under the Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Property Act, 2007, at Najafgarh police station. Of this four are against Gulab Singh Yadav and the remaining FIRs are against people belonging to Congress, BJP and BSP,” said a senior police official.

“There would be action wherever there is violation of the Act,” said a senior police official.  

Cases under various sections of the Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Property Act, 2007 have been registered at Najafgarh police station against Gulab Singh Yadav (AAP’s Matiala candidate) and Mukesh Kumar Dagar, the Najafgarh candidate.

While Dagar has one FIR against him, there are four FIRs against Yadav.  “My constituency area is full of hoardings and boards belonging to both the BJP and Congress. The police registered FIRs against me after we had a meeting with the area’s sub-divisional magistrate on October 2,” Yadav told HT.    

Permission withdrawn for AAP rally

AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal claimed the police withdrew permission for his rally at Mustafabad in northeast Delhi on Saturday at the last moment.

The police, however, said: “In view of the model code of conduct applicable since Friday, all applications for any rally need to be applied for anew. This would mean all such rallies need clearances from several authorities.”


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi: Banned Uber seeks support through petition

Cab service provider Uber launched an online petition Friday, requesting people to support the return of its services that were banned in the Capital after a driver allegedly raped a 25-year-old executive in his cab earlier this month.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved