Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,26 Dec 2014

Domestic violence: City court bars husband from entering wife’s house

Sumit Saxena, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, February 17, 2011
First Published: 00:14 IST(17/2/2011) | Last Updated: 00:15 IST(17/2/2011)

A Delhi court has restrained a ‘wife-beater’ husband from entering his wife’s house. The court noted that the husband is ‘fierce’, as he had beaten his wife even in the presence of police officials.

Advertisement

Laviral (name changed) and Sheila (name changed) are married for 18-years. The couple has two daughters aged 16 years and 11 years, respectively. Sheila through her counsel Prabhjit Jauhar filed a domestic violence petition in court seeking compensation and restraining her husband from entering her house in Greater Kailash.

Metropolitan magistrate Pooja Talwar said, “Since the complainant is staying with her two daughters in the shared household, which is admittedly in her name, due to the facts enumerated upon the respondent (Laviral), he is restrained from entering the household.”

The next hearing of the case is scheduled on March 8, 2011, and till then, Laviral is not allowed to enter the portion of the house belonging to his wife.

Jauhar told the court, “For past 10 years, Sheila was a victim of continuous domestic violence. Even police presence never deterred her husband from committing physical violence.”

On February 4, 2011, Sheila filed a complaint and asked the police to come to her rescue from her husband. The judge observed the police evidence placed on record, stating that the husband was excessively abusive even in their presence. Moreover, Sheila submitted her medical examination report, which indicated injury marks, as a result of physical violence.

The court noted that Laviral’s vindictive attitude has jeopardised the living conditions of his wife.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Monkey scam brewing in Delhi: Maneka Gandhi

Over 1,000 monkeys may have died in Delhi's Asola Bhatti wildlife sanctuary after pending bills stopped their food supplies earlier this month, women and child development minister Maneka Gandhi said on Thursday, terming the procurement of fruits and vegetables a Rs 200 crore scam.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved