Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,18 Sep 2014

Five more swine flu deaths take India's toll to 111

IANS  New Delhi, September 04, 2009
First Published: 00:55 IST(4/9/2009) | Last Updated: 00:57 IST(4/9/2009)

Five more swine flu deaths were reported on Thursday, taking the toll due to influenza A(H1N1) virus to 111 in India, health authorities said in New Delhi.

Advertisement

Of the five deaths, three were reported from Karnataka alone, followed by one death each from Maharashtra and Gujarat.

While all the three Karnataka deaths were in Bangalore, the other deaths were from Pune, declared an epidemic city, and Vadodara.

With Thursday's death in Pune, Maharashtra's death toll has jumped to 58, while Karnataka's toll has risen to 31 deaths, health authorities said. In Gujarat, nine people have died of the flu so far.

Meanwhile, 166 fresh cases were reported in the country on Thursday, taking the total number of people affected with the flu to 4,364.

Maharashtra, which has topped the chart of reporting most deaths and fresh cases in the country, once again reported the maximum cases Thursday.

Of the 166 fresh cases, 43 were from Maharashtra alone, taking the figure of those affected with the virus in the state to 1,738.

Both Delhi and Tamil Nadu reported 32 cases respectively. With Thursday's fresh cases, the total number of people affected in the national capital has gone up to 707. In Tamil Nadu, the total figure is 439.

Fresh cases were also reported from Andhra Pradesh (15), Kerala (4), Haryana (8), Gujarat (4), Goa (4) and West Bengal (2).

Jammu and Kashmir, Puducherry and Chhattisgarh reported one cases each.

"Till date, samples from 23,519 people have been tested for influenza A(H1N1) in various government laboratories across the country and 4,364 of them have been found positive," a statement issued here said.

Of the 166 fresh cases, only nine were imported, while the rest were indigenous cases.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Badaun case: Eye-witness flunks lie-detector test

In a fresh twist, the main eyewitness in the case related to the alleged rape and murder of two minor girls in Badaun in May, Nazru, has allegedly flunked the polygraph test conducted on him by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved