Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,20 Apr 2014

Trehan defends moving victim to Singapore

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, January 04, 2013
First Published: 18:25 IST(4/1/2013) | Last Updated: 00:21 IST(5/1/2013)

Putting all rumours to rest, cardiac surgeon Dr Naresh Trehan on Friday strongly defended the decision to shift the 23-year-old gangrape victim to a Singapore hospital.

Advertisement

Dr Trehan, who is also managing director of Gurgaon's Medanta- the Medicity Hospital, said in a press conference that the decision was taken primarily to stablise her condition and not for any immediate intestinal transplant.

He had examined the victim 12 hours before she was moved out of Safdarjung Hospital. The home ministry had reportedly sought his opinion on whether she was stable enough to be airlifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.

 The girl had been undergoing treatment for severe abdominal and genital injuries at Safdarjung Hospital for 12 days. 

 The intestines of the victim were removed during treatment at Safdarjung and when she was shifted to Singapore, there was speculation that she was being sent for an intestinal transplant.

"Doctors at Safdarjung treated her the best possible way they could do. She had lost her intestine and everyone was praying that one day she will be ready as a candidate for an intestinal transplant. Transplant is a long journey," he said, adding she was not in any condition for a transplant at that juncture.

Transporting the victim to Singapore was the responsibility of the Medanta team as it has experience in ferrying critical patients.

"All one could think then was what can be done for this girl. Then they thought of the centres for long-term transplant. If someone asks was the girl alive when she was transported, the answer is yes," he said.

The girl died a day after she was admitted to the Singapore hospital.

Dr Trehan admired the fighting spirit of the girl and said he had never seen such brutality inflicted on a person in his career.

The girl was subjected to brutal sexual assault by six people on a moving bus on December 16 night and thrown out. For 40 minutes, the girl had been lying without clothes on the roadside before she was rushed to Safdarjung hospital.

Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved