After his office shared the photo of the Guwahati molestation vicitim, Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said that he accepted the blame and responsibility for the press statement.
Gogoi said the photograph was a mistake, but insisted that his office had not shared the name of the victim in the email sent to reporters.
Guwahati shame: Atanu Bhuyan quits
The Assam government had goofed up by revealing the identity of the girl in the Guwahati molestation video.
Gogoi had criticised the sections of the media for revealing the identity of the girl only to find that his government released three photographs of him meeting the girl and even named her in their photo captions.
Assam government later requested the media to not carry the photographs or the name of the victim.
"Chief minister Tarun Gogoi interacts with... the victim of GS Road incident (extreme right) at his official residence at Khanapara on 16/7/2012," read the caption of the three photographs which were released by the CM’s PR cell. The photographs were emailed to sections of the media.
The chief minister aslo admitted that there was scope for improvement in law and order situation in the state. He further said that anyone who breaks law and order whether he is a journalist or an officer, would be brought to book.
On Tuesday morning, three more men have been arrested in connection to the Guwahati molestation case taking the total number people held so far to 11. According to media report, eleven persons have been arrested in the case so far.
About twenty people were accused to molesting a 20-year-old girl in Guwahati on July 9 based on a video of the molestation recorded by a television journalist. The teenager was assaulted when she came out of a bar in the heart of the city.