Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,26 Oct 2014

Kejriwal continues power restoration drive, state govt mulls legal action

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, October 07, 2012
First Published: 18:44 IST(7/10/2012) | Last Updated: 00:01 IST(8/10/2012)

Even as Arvind Kejriwal and his fellow associates of India Against Corruption (IAC) on Sunday continued protests across Delhi by burning electricity bills, the government hinted that action might be taken against him.

Advertisement

Kejriwal on Sunday, visited the house of a 65-year-old person who died of heart attack on Friday, after discom officials raided his house in Najafgarh suspecting power theft.

Kejriwal said the household of Kailash Chand had an electricity bill of a very low amount . “This made officials suspect Chand of committing power theft,” he said. “Even though he had paid his bill, power officials cut off his power supply,” Kejriwal said.

Official sources, however, claimed the discom, accompanied by the police,  was undertaking routine inspection in the area to detect power-theft. The sources said that the electricity meter was found by-passed and a power theft of around 5 kw was detected on the premises.

Chand’s wife Bimla alleged that four people entered the house, had an argument and manhandled her husband. She claimed that those who came to the house, said the family was stealing power, which was why the bill amount was only R550.

Later, Kejriwal and others held protests  across Delhi. Manish Sisodia, Gopal Rai and Kumar Vishwas also asked people to join in the protests. The IAC members said they would protest outside Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission office in south Delhi on Monday.

Kejriwal criticised Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit and Anil Ambani, whose companies —BSES Rajdhani Power and BSES Yamuna Power — are responsible for supplying electricity to parts of the Capital.

He said, “We want Delhi not to pay electricity bills. We will see if Anil Ambani and Sheila Dikshit can cut supply of the entire city.” On Saturday, Kejriwal launched his campaign by restoring the power connection of a labourer in Tigri Colony, who claimed that he got a bill of R15,000 last month and his connection was snapped as he could not pay the bill.

Kejriwal said he would continue the protest till the government rolled back the tariff hike. The activist also attacked the Delhi government for lack of adequate supply of drinking water in the city.

Meanwhile, the Delhi government is mulling legal action against Kejriwal for ‘illegally’ restoring electricity connection and trying to spread ‘anarchy’ and ‘lawlessness’ in the city. Delhi power minister Harun Yusuf said legal action will be taken against him. The minister also appealed to the people to not to support Kejriwal.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Prohibitory orders clamped after communal clashes in Delhi's Trilokpuri, 60 held

Over 14 people, including 13 policemen, have been injured. Police said five of those injured sustained bullet injuries. Over 60 people have been arrested. Property worth crores has been damaged, with the mobs torching several shops and vehicles.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved