Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,29 Dec 2014

Navy misses deadline on Sindhurakshak probe

Rahul Singh, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, September 18, 2013
First Published: 01:07 IST(18/9/2013) | Last Updated: 01:53 IST(18/9/2013)

The navy has failed to meet the four-week deadline to probe how the Russian-built Indian submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, blew up and sank at a Mumbai harbour on August 14, killing all 18 men on board.

Advertisement

Sources said full-scale investigations into one of the worst accidents in the navy’s history could be pursued only after the Kilo-class boat was salvaged — an arduous task that could take several months.

As first reported by HT on August 16, the navy has sought foreign help to retrieve the submarine. Five international firms are bidding for a contract to salvage the 16-year-old boat. The work will begin only after the tender is awarded.

2 Dutch firms had taken four months to salvage Russian nuclear submarine Kursk after it exploded and sank in Barents Sea in August 2000. Defence minister AK Antony had told Parliament on August 19 that the explosions that sank the boat were caused by “possible igniting” of its weapons.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi: 2 die on city’s coldest day, rain to ring in new year

Two people died in Delhi on the coldest day of the season so far on Sunday as dense fog affected over 100 flights and 150 trains, with the mercury plunging to a bone-chilling 2.6 degree Celsius, five below normal.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved