Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,17 Apr 2014

New twist in 2G scam, Oppn gets set to corner govt

Agencies  New Delhi, February 12, 2013
First Published: 11:41 IST(12/2/2013) | Last Updated: 11:57 IST(12/2/2013)

The alleged collusion between the CBI prosecutor and business firms involved in the 2G spectrum scam is all set to create uproar in the meeting of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) on telecom on Tuesday when the CBI director Ranjit Sinha and Telecom Secretary R Chandrashekhar face it. An agitated Opposition plans to seek explanations from CBI director Ranjit Sinha.

Advertisement

The latest twist is also expected to create uproar in the upcoming Parliament Session starting from February 21.

A TV news channel on Monday aired visuals and the taped conversation between CBI prosecutor AK Singh and Sanjay Chandra, Managing Director of Unitech and one of the high-profile accused in the 2G scam case. It showed AK Singh discussing the prosecution strategy with Chandra.

The CBI has taken its prosecutor off the 2G spectrum scam case for allegedly sharing the agency's trial strategy with an accused in the case reportedly identified as Unitech managing director Sanjay Chandra.  CNN-IBN on Monday broadcast a 17-minute-long purported conversation between prosecutor AK Singh and Chandra in which Singh is heard giving "advice" on ways to muddle the court proceedings and how a particular prosecution witness would depose. The channel, however, said it couldn't independently verify the authenticity of the tape.

A preliminary enquiry had been registered by the CBI against Singh and Chandra to verify the allegations, an agency spokesperson told HT.

"Both of them were examined by the investigators on Monday. Singh has been removed and another prosecutor appointed," said the spokesperson.

Chandra denied having any phone conversation with the prosecutor or meeting him outside the court.

Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi: HIV patient gets 7 years' jail for robbery

A Delhi court has sentenced an HIV-positive man and his wife to seven years in jail for robbery and house trespassing. The court said there were no grounds for leniency on account of health since such crimes were on the rise and needed to be curbed.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved