Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,22 Oct 2014

Officials will be punished for their mistakes: Akhilesh defends Durga's suspension

PTI  New Delhi, August 05, 2013
First Published: 11:15 IST(5/8/2013) | Last Updated: 12:36 IST(5/8/2013)

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday said the Centre is in touch with the state authorities on the issue of IAS officer Durga Sakhti Nagpal's suspension and that laid down rules will be followed. Meanwhile, the UP government has chargesheeted the officer.

"We are in touch with the state government to find out the full details of the issue," he told reporters outside Parliament House ahead of the start of the Monsoon Session.

He also said the the laid down rules to deal with such cases will be followed. "There are rules laid down and the rules will be followed," he said.

Uttar Pradesh chief minister Akhilesh Yadav addressing a rally in Lucknow justified his stand on the suspension of IAS Officer Durga Shakti Nagpal.

He said, "If an official makes a mistake, he/she will be punished."

The Centre had on Sunday asked the UP government to immediately give a report on the suspension of Nagpal, who had cracked down on sand mafia in Gautam Budh Nagar area.

Minister of state for personnel V Narayanasamy said this is the third such letter sent to the state government so far after the 2010-batch IAS officer was suspended on July 27.

The Centre's fresh reminder came in the backdrop of Sonia Gandhi, who is the chairperson of National Advisory Council (NAC), writing a letter to the prime minister, saying that Nagpal should not be "unfairly treated".

"We must ensure that the officer is not unfairly treated," Gandhi had said in her letter to Singh, who holds the charge of personnel ministry.

Supporters of Bhagat Singh Sena take out a Mashal March in support of IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal (Vipin Kumar/HT Photo)


The UP government on Sunday served a chargesheet to the IAS officer.

Nagpal, the 28-year-old SDM of Gautam Budh Nagar, who led the crackdown on sand mining mafia in her district, was suspended on July 27, ostensibly for ordering the demolition of a wall of a under-construction mosque allegedly without following the due process. Nagpal belonged to the UP cadre.

Sources said that the chargesheet, which is believed to be running into 10 pages, was prepared based on a report of commissioner(Meerut division). It is being reported that the officer has got 15 days to respond to the chargesheet.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

2G: Court's no to Chandra's plea to go abroad, terms it casual

A special court has rejected a plea of Unitech Limited managing director Sanjay Chandra, facing trial in 2G spectrum allocation case, to go abroad saying it "smacks of casual attitude" as no proper documents support it.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved