Advertisement

HindustanTimes Mon,22 Dec 2014

Pak SC lets 26/11 mastermind walk

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, May 26, 2010
First Published: 01:51 IST(26/5/2010) | Last Updated: 01:52 IST(26/5/2010)

India expressed its disappointment on Tuesday on the Pakistan Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the release of Lashkar-e-Tayyeba founder Hafiz Saeed from house arrest for want of evidence.

Advertisement

“There is disappointment, especially when we regard Hafiz Saeed as one of the masterminds of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks and he has openly urged jihad against India,” foreign secretary Nirupama Rao said.

The verdict comes as foreign minister S.M. Krishna prepares to meet his counterpart in Islamabad on July 15.

Rao said there is enough evidence against Saeed to arrest him and India has shared this with Pakistan. “Pakistan has assured us it won’t allow its territory to be used against India,” she said. “We hope Pakistan will be sensitive to our efforts.”

The BJP also joined the issue. “It is clear the Pakistani government did not furnish proper evidence given by the government of India against him, as Hafiz is an errand boy of the ISI and will spill the beans,” said Ravi Shankar Prasad.

The court on Tuesday dismissed the Pakistani government’s appeal against the Lahore High Court’s 2009 order to release Saeed from house arrest. Saeed (60) was put under house arrest in December 2008 in the wake of 26/11 and after the UN declared the JuD, the outfit he heads, a front for the Lashkar.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi: Congress campaign yet to gather steam as rivals hit full throttle

A year after they were handed down a debilitating defeat by debutant Aam Aadmi Party, the Congress in Delhi is yet to recover from the loss. With only a lacklustre campaign so far, critics are asking whether the grand-old party has given up even before the contest.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved