A petition by an NGO has claimed that the juvenile accused of the Delhi bus gangrape was a child labourer and if he had been rescued in time by the Delhi government and the police, the brutal incident could have been averted.
The petition, which is being heard by the Delhi High Court, has been filed by the Save the Child Foundation, an NGO.
The High Court on Wednesday issued notices to the labour department of the Delhi government and Delhi Police regarding the petition.
The petition claimed that the juvenile accused in the Delhi bus gang rape case would not have committed the crime had the department followed instructions regarding rescue of child labourers.
The petition said despite high court orders only 3,500 child labourers were rescued out of the total 50,000 such children in the national Capital. "He was also a victim of child abuse working in buses for the past 11 years. He had been away from his house for the past five years. We do not how many more such minors will involve in such offences," lawyer HS Phoolka, who appeared for the NGO 'Save the child foundation', told the court.
The court questioned as to why its directions passed on July 15, 2009 for implementing the action plan of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights were not carried out.
As per the order, 500 child labourers had to be rescued every month.
"If the Delhi government, in compliance with the court orders, had rescued 500 child labourers every month, till now over 18,000 victims would have been saved," he said."If the juvenile in question would have been rescued and rehabilitated the unfortunate event may have been averted," the petition said.