HindustanTimes Mon,29 Dec 2014

Police to probe disparities in report

Karn Pratap Singh, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, December 29, 2012
First Published: 00:25 IST(29/12/2012) | Last Updated: 02:17 IST(29/12/2012)

The Capital's Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital handed over the medical reports of constable Subhash Chand Tomar on Friday, two days after the crime branch asked for them. Tomar, 45, had lost his life in the protests at India Gate on December 23.


According to a senior police officer, investigators from the inter-state cell (ISC) of crime branch will now get the medical reports verified by experts to ascertain whether there was any negligence in Tomar's treatment on part of the doctors.

The need to examine Tomar's medical reports, a senior police officer said, was due to the differences in those reports and his autopsy report, which states that he had internal injuries in his chest and neck. TS Sidhu, medical superintendent (MS) of RML hospital, too, had a different version.

Sidhu had said that there were no external or internal injuries on Tomar's body and he died of cardiac arrest. On the other hand, the autopsy report says Tomar had six internal injuries in his chest and neck besides broken ribs.

"The reports will be examined to know the kind of treatment Tomar was given," said the senior officer.

However, the scrutiny of the footage of CCTV cameras installed near the spot where Tomar had collapsed has not yielded much. It only shows Tomar lying on the road with four-five people around him, sources said. What happened before Tomar collapsed could not be captured because the focus of the camera was in a different direction, said a source.

Investigators will now bank on the video tapes provided by news channels to establish the sequence of events. The five policemen present at the spot were also questioned but none claimed to have seen anything before Tomar collapsed.

Meanwhile, Pauline, one of the three eyewitnesses, did not turn up at the crime branch's Chanakyapuri office to record her statement on Friday as well. So the police went to her home to record her statement. The statements of the other two eyewitnesses - Yogendra and Salim Alvi - were recorded on Thursday.

more from New Delhi

Delhi: 2 die on city’s coldest day, rain to ring in new year

Two people died in Delhi on the coldest day of the season so far on Sunday as dense fog affected over 100 flights and 150 trains, with the mercury plunging to a bone-chilling 2.6 degree Celsius, five below normal.
Most Popular
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved