Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,30 Jul 2014

Rahul files affidavit in SC, denies rape charges

IANS  New Delhi, July 07, 2012
First Published: 09:41 IST(7/7/2012) | Last Updated: 10:05 IST(7/7/2012)

Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Friday urged the Supreme Court to dismiss a plea against an Allahabad high court order absolving him of allegations that he detained and raped a girl in Uttar Pradesh.

Advertisement

"I emphatically deny the allegation of the writ petitioner of rape and detention by me and say both these allegations are false, malicious and baseless and no cognizance could be taken by any responsible person of such allegations made on a website," Gandhi said in his affidavit before an apex court bench of Justice HL Dattu and Justice Chandramauli K Prasad.

The Congress Lok Sabha member from Amethi in Uttar Pradesh said in his affidavit that he was not in a position to make a statement as to what transpired in the high court. However, the allegations "are totally false, frivolous, vexatious and calculated to harm my standing and image".

Gandhi filed his affidavit in response to the notice issue by the apex court on a petition by former Samajwadi Party legislator Kishore Samrite who was slapped with Rs. 50 lakh cost by the high court for levelling charges of rape and kidnapping against him.

The Congress leader told the apex court that the petition against him was filed on "the basis of certain allegations made in certain website, and not on the basis of personal knowledge or reliable information".

The affidavit pointed out that it appeared from the high court order that the parties - the alleged victim, her mother and father - appeared in person and stated that the allegation contained in the petition were "baseless and false".

Gandhi sought the dismissal of the petition and the imposition of cost.

Samrite alleged that the family of a girl from Amethi had allegedly gone missing after a trip there by Rahul Gandhi and his friends in 2006. He claimed that the girl was raped and then held illegally to prevent the story from coming out.

He said an "astronomical" amount had been slapped on him as cost.

He alleged that since the high court passed the order, he was facing recovery proceedings and was called time and again to a police station. He urged the court to stop all proceedings against him.

The apex court had stayed the operation of the high court order in April.

The case would next come up for hearing after two weeks.

 


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi: Boy killed after falling in a boiling pot

A three-year-old boy lost his life when he fell in a cooking pot containing boiled sugar syrup after being hit by an e-rickshaw in east Delhi's Trilokpuri on Tuesday evening. The boy was in his mother's lap when they were hit by the e-rickshaw from behind.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved