The Delhi high court on Tuesday issued notice to the Central government and Delhi Police on a plea seeking a CBI probe into the death of a constable during anti-rape protests in the city last month.
Justice GP Mittal said the notice had been issued to the home ministry besides Delhi Police, and a response would be expected within a week.
Advocate Gaurav Kumar Bansal sought a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry into constable Subhash Chand Tomar's death Dec 25, alleging contradictions in the versions given by police, witnesses and doctors.
Tomar was taken to hospital after collapsing on a street near India Gate during the protests Dec 23.
Police claimed that he was beaten and assaulted by demonstrators. Two of the protesters whose assistance to the collapsed constable was filmed denied the police charge and said he fell on his own while running.
On another plea filed by eight people arrested for the constable's death, the court asked the Crime Branch to direct mobile phone service providers to preserve their records of Dec 23 related to the eight.
Advocate Somnath Bharti told the court that the location of the accused should be preserved immediately as mobile phone service providers preserve the data for only 30 days.
It also asked the central and Delhi governments and Delhi Police to file their response by Jan 21. The matter was posted for Jan 29.