Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,25 Oct 2014

Ravi Shankar's wife receives harmony award on his behalf from Prez

PTI  New Delhi, March 07, 2013
First Published: 21:19 IST(7/3/2013) | Last Updated: 21:20 IST(7/3/2013)

President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday gave away the first annual Tagore award for cultural harmony to late Pandit Ravi Shankar, which was received by the sitar maestro's wife Sukanya Shankar.

Advertisement

The 92-year-old musical legend passed away on December 11, last year at a hospital in the US.

Remembering him, the President said his passing away from our midst has been a great loss to India and the world.

"His legacy, however, lives on and would continue to illuminate the world of music. With the conferment of the first Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony, we pay a tribute to late Pandit Ravi Shankar for his enormous contribution to cultural harmony," he said.

The award, which carries a citation, plaque and cash prize of Rs. one crore, was instituted as part of the commemoration of 150th birth anniversary of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore and to promote values of universal brotherhood.

An emotional Sukanya, who was accompanied by her daughter and sitar player Anoushka Shankar, thanked members of the jury and all fans for the award to her late husband.

The President said Ravi Shankar was India's most esteemed musical ambassador and a singular phenomenon in the world of classical music. "As a composer, performer, teacher and writer, he rendered invaluable service to Indian music and culture," he said.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who was also present during the ceremony along with leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, in his address expressed "deep sadness" that the first recipient of the award was no more.

"It is therefore in someway a bittersweet occasion as we recall and celebrate the life of a great son of our country," he said.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Communal tension in East Delhi's Trilokpuri, prohibitory orders imposed

Fresh violence erupted in Trilokpuri area of East Delhi on Saturday in which five people suffered gunshot injuries after which prohibitory orders were imposed and tension continued for the third consecutive day in the wake of a clash between two groups on Diwali night.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved