Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,26 Dec 2014

Sajjan Kumar to be tried for 1984 riots

Harish V Nair, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, July 16, 2013
First Published: 22:16 IST(16/7/2013) | Last Updated: 00:24 IST(17/7/2013)

The Delhi high court on Tuesday dismissed Congress leader Sajjan Kumar's petition challenging the charges framed against him by a lower court in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.

Advertisement

The trial against him and four others - Brahmanand Gupta, Peru, Khushal Singh and Ved Prakash Pial - in relation to the killing of six people in Sultanpuri will resume on July 30 at the lower court in Karkardooma.

The HC said there was "prima-facie" evidence against Kumar.

On Kumar's argument that there were contradictions in the statements of various witnesses, Justice Suresh Kait said, "The veracity of such statements has to be examined during the trial and not at the stage of framing of charges."

In 2010, the Karkardooma court had framed charges -including those of murder, rioting, destruction of property and spreading of enmity between two communities - against the five accused.

Kumar, Gupta and Pial had filed petitions challenging the framing of these charges, and all three pleas were rejected on Tuesday.

The court also dismissed a petition filed by Sheela Kaur, a victim's relative, to invoke a charge of criminal conspiracy against the accused.

Tuesday's order means that Kumar's relief following acquittal on April 30 in another riots case has turned out to be short-lived.

Acting on the recommendations of the Justice Nanavati Commission, the CBI had filed its charge sheets in both cases in 2010.

But the trial in the present case had been deferred in September 2010 as the court was hearing the second case related to the deaths of five people in Delhi Cantonment. Kumar was acquitted in that case on April 30.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Monkey scam brewing in Delhi: Maneka Gandhi

Over 1,000 monkeys may have died in Delhi's Asola Bhatti wildlife sanctuary after pending bills stopped their food supplies earlier this month, women and child development minister Maneka Gandhi said on Thursday, terming the procurement of fruits and vegetables a Rs 200 crore scam.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved