The Supreme Court on Tuesday asked the government to restore the independent position of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) with regard to its probe of coal block allocations. It asked the investigating agency and the government seven questions regarding the coal block allocations investigation.
· Why was it not disclosed to the court that the March 8 report was shared with the government?
· Why did the CBI Counsel assert on March 12 that this report was not shared with anyone?
· Was the Law Minister and officials of PMO and Coal ministry entitled to call for agency's probe report in coal scam?
· Was the report shared with any other officials other than these?
· What were the changes made in the status report and on whose instruction?
· Does this not show erosion of the trust that the court has shown in CBI?
· Supreme Court also questioned the remarks made by Addl. Solicitor General Ravel in his letter to Attorney GE Vahanvati