Three persons, including a seven-month-old girl child, were charred to death and three others were injured in an LPG-triggered fire at their house in southwest Delhi's Dabri on Thursday night.
According to Delhi Fire Services (DFS) officials, the incident was reported from the Madhu Vihar residence of Ramakant Kumar, a driver, around 9pm. Leakage from a small LPG-based cooking stove is suspected to have triggered the blaze.
"The victims have been identified as Ramakant's mother Ramwati, 68, and nieces Laxmi, 6, and seven-month-old Akansha. While his wife Ruchi suffered 90% burns, Ramakant and one of his relatives, Kishan, suffered minor injuries," said a DFS official.
According to fire officials, Ramakant's sister Ritu and her husband Rajnish had gone to his house along with their two daughters Laxmi and Akansha before paying a visit to a local temple and left their children in the care of their maternal grandmother.
Ruchi was cooking food inside the house on a small gas cylinder. The liquefied petroleum gas was leaking from the cylinder while her stove was on. All of sudden, the whole room caught fire, the DFS said.
"We received a call and immediately sent two fire tenders vehicles to the spot. Within minutes, the fire was doused," said a fire official.
The injured were rushed to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital where Ramwati, Laxmi, and Akansha were declared brought dead.