Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,18 Sep 2014

Too early to say copter deal on chopping block: Khurshid

PTI  New Delhi, February 19, 2013
First Published: 22:07 IST(19/2/2013) | Last Updated: 22:26 IST(19/2/2013)

Emphasising that it is too early to say whether the VVIP helicopter deal with AgustaWestland is on the chopping block, Union minister Salman Khurshid on Tuesday said the government will take into account everything including public interest before making a decision on the contract.

Advertisement

"I don't think we should jump to any conclusions. This is something that has to be decided in best interests. At present, we are only at the stage of making inquiries, whether the integrity pact had in any way been violated, whether any contractual provisions have been violated," the external affairs minister said.

He was replying to a query on whether the helicopter deal was on the chopping block.

Noting that it is too early to say anything, Khurshid said, "I would imagine that people concerned in our government will take everything into account, the overall public interests in account, before a final decision is taken."

The Minister said he is aware that a showcause notice has been sent to the Italian firm. "But when you make a query or inquiry about something which is of serious consequences, obviously it begins with showcause notice.

"But a showcause notice is a showcause notice. It is not a decision."

Finmeccanica CEO Giueseppe Orsi and AgustaWestland CEO Bruno Spagnolini were arrested by Italian investigators last week in connection with the contract in which Rs. 362 crore have been allegedly paid as kickbacks.

The Defence Ministry had initiated the process to scrap the deal for the Anglo-Italian AW-101 choppers, three of which have already been delivered to India for ferrying VVIPs.

The deal was signed in 2010 and the government has already paid around Rs. 1,200 crore of the Rs. 3,600 crore for the contracted 12 choppers, but it has put on hold any further payment.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Badaun case: Eye-witness flunks lie-detector test

In a fresh twist, the main eyewitness in the case related to the alleged rape and murder of two minor girls in Badaun in May, Nazru, has allegedly flunked the polygraph test conducted on him by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved