Two more people died of swine flu in the national Capital on Tuesday, taking the total number of deaths due to the viral infection to 11. Ten 10 deaths have taken place in February.
The total number of cases of the disease in the city has also crossed the 500 mark.
A 36-year-old woman undergoing treatment at the Apollo Hospital and a 45-year-old woman being treated at the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital were the two latest victims of the disease.
Both of them had been admitted with severe bronchitis that got aggravated due to swine flu.
A total of 53 cases were reported on Tuesday. The total number of persons having tested positive for swine flu in the city has reached 510.
The number is huge, but nearly 70% of the positive cases did not require hospitalisation so far, and the health ministry officials claim those who have died of the disease had previous history of upper respiratory tract infection.
“The numbers suddenly seem huge because all the hospitals have started duly reporting cases. The strain is mild and there is no need to panic,” said a health ministry official of the Delhi government, requesting anonymity.
“We are only admitting swine flu positive cases, and that too if they are serious. We are not isolating families or putting them on prophylactic treatment as the virus is circulating in the air,” added the official.
Delhi health minister AK Walia also claimed there was nothing to worry as it was just like another seasonal viral infection.
“We have issued advisory to our hospitals and labs to stay prepared. All designated hospitals have a ventilator and ICU beds on stand by only for swine flu cases. I am being regularly updated about the situation and there is no need to panic,” he said.
According to doctors, symptoms of high-grade fever, respiratory problem, chest pain and blood in sputum must not be ignored, and one should see a doctor immediately.