Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,28 Dec 2014

Victims’ kin join forces to demand Guru’s hanging

Faizan Haider, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, December 13, 2012
First Published: 00:03 IST(13/12/2012) | Last Updated: 01:51 IST(13/12/2012)

Ahead of the 11th anniversary of the Parliament attack, Sunita, the 32-year-old widow of ANI cameraman Vikram Bisht who was killed in the attack, got word that she may soon have a government job.

Advertisement

Sunita works at a Hindi news channel and her two children —Naveen, 13, and Priya, 12 — go to a neighbourhood school.

“I was 20 years old when Vikram died. No one offered me a job in the aftermath of the incident. I started working two years ago, and earn Rs. 8,000 a month, most of which I spend on the education of my kids,” she said.

Finally, after activists intervened, Sunita was called by Rajya Sabha TV a few days ago. She was assured of a job.

Families of some of those killed in the attack were allotted petrol stations by the government. But Sunita, who had to look after children then aged two months and one year, was not given a job despite several requests to the chief minister.

“Forget free education for my kids, they can’t even provide me with a job. Neither can they hang convict Afzal Guru,” Sunita said. “They can feed terrorists in jail, but not the family of the victims,” she added.http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2012/12/13_12_pg2a.jpg

Sonu, the son of Nanak Chand, a sub-inspector with Delhi police who died while saving the then Vice-President, got a petrol station after clearing several hurdles. His one remaining grouse is the government’s dithering on Guru.

The families of the nine victims will gather at the police memorial in Chanakyapuri. They have contrasting socio-economical backgrounds, but have a common demand: Hang Guru.

“Our hopes have surged after Ajmal Kasab was hanged,” MS Bitta, chairman of All India Anti-Terrorist Front, said.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Delhi: Banned Uber seeks support through petition

Cab service provider Uber launched an online petition Friday, requesting people to support the return of its services that were banned in the Capital after a driver allegedly raped a 25-year-old executive in his cab earlier this month.

Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved