The government will make a detailed analysis of the results of the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) 2013 to see whether the goals for which the format was changed have been met, HRD minister Pallam Raju said.
“We will certainly do an analysis of the 2013 results to assess whether we have achieved the goals we wanted to by changing the format — whether more children from rural areas had benefitted due to the weightage given to the school grades, whether more girls have been able to get admission or whether coached students have retained their edge. Let us do a detailed analysis and see whether we have actually balanced. Only after that we can arrive at a conclusion whether a change is required next year or not,” Raju told HT.
The pattern for the JEE exam for admission to IITs was changed this year to a two staged exam — JEE (mains) and JEE (advanced). Only the top 1.5 lakh students from JEE (mains) were allowed to appear for the JEE (advanced).
Till last year there was a single exam for admission to IITs.
Admitting that 79 students had been denied admission to IITs because of ‘confusion’ in the cut-offs, he said, “I would have been equally concerned if it had affected just one student. But the matter is now in the court.”
JAB meet to discuss JEE 2014 pattern
The Joint Admission Board (JAB) will meet on August 18 to discuss the pattern that should be adopted for JEE 2014. Following this, the IIT Council chaired by HRD minister is likely to meet on September 3 to take a final decision for next year.
The JAB is a body which looks after the admission process for IITs. The meeting chaired by IIT Delhi director RV Shevgaonkar hopes to come up with a solution to the problems faced under the new pattern.
It will also discuss whether a two stage exam is required or not and also whether the 20 percentile eligibility should continue for 2014. A detailed report on JEE 2013 will be discussed.
JAB will give its inputs to the IIT Council meet on September 3, which will finally decide on next year’s pattern.