Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,20 Dec 2014

Ban orders ahead of today's bandh

PTI  Puducherry, April 26, 2011
First Published: 07:45 IST(26/4/2011) | Last Updated: 07:47 IST(26/4/2011)

Prohibitory orders have been clamped for two days, starting on Tuesday, in Puducherry and Mahe regions in view of April 27 bandh called by opposition parties demanding recall of Lt governor Iqbal Singh.

Advertisement

Opposition AIADMK, All India NR Congress and Left parties, among others, have given the call for the bandh to protest against Iqbal Singh continuing in the office "despite several controversies including the one relating to South Education Trust" and recommending issuing passport expeditiously to suspected money launderer Hasan Ali Khan.

To protect law and order and prevent disturbances and to ensure that the model code of conduct for assembly polls still in force was adhered to, an order under section 144 had been clamped in Puducherry and Mahe regions, district magistrate G Ragesh Chandra said in a release on Monday.

He said the available information was that the bandh supporters would indulge in 'wrongful activities to compel shops, industrial establishments, government offices, educational institutions and other sectors to observe the shutdown'.

There was also possibility of rioting, criminal intimidation and damaging of public transport vehicles and other activities, he said.


Advertisement
more from India

Peshawar attack fallout: Govt wants higher walls, armed guards in schools

High perimeter walls with barbed wire, armed guards with walkie-talkies posted round-the-clock, surveillance cameras, adequate lights and regular drills are some steps the Union home ministry wants schools to take following the Peshawar massacre.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved