Ailing man lands in ICU after police ‘torture’

  • Peeyush Khandelwal, Hindustan Times, Ghaziabad
  • |
  • Updated: May 20, 2013 01:39 IST

A 22-year-old man – a suspect in a theft case - suffering from typhoid has landed up in hospital after he was allegedly tortured at a police station in Ghaziabad.

The man, Haidar, and two others – Majid and Rajender -- were picked up in connection with the theft of a mobile phone and Rs 5000.

While Haidar is under treatment at the intensive care unit of a hospital, Majid has also alleged torture.

Majid’s family said he was picked up on Friday morning, while Haidar was taken to the Vijay Nagar police station on Saturday afternoon. Both are neighbours and distant relatives.

“He was given electric shocks and beaten up. We told them that he is suffering from typhoid, but they paid no heed,” Haidar’s father Aslam told Hindustan Times.

After Haidar’s condition deteriorated late Saturday evening, his sister Zeenat rushed him to a local hospital from where he was referred to MMG district hospital and then to Yashoda Hospital in Ghaziabad.

“I had to rush him alone to various hospitals. No policemen accompanied me,” Zeenat said.

After news spread, senior police officials reached Yashoda Hospital late on Saturday night.

An official said the mobile was traced to some person who gave it to Majid who later gave it to Haidar. Later, it landed up with Rajinder.

Alarmed over Haidar’s condition, the police released Majid late Saturday night from the Vijay Nagar police station.

Majid said: “They beat me up at the police station and gave me electric shocks on my ears, private parts and fingers. They held a pistol to my head.”

Senior superintendent of police Nitin Tiwari said Haidar had a previous history of typhoid and his condition deteriorated at the police station.

“We are going through allegations of police torture and ordered an inquiry,” Tiwari said.

Senior officials said Haidar had no previous crime history while Majid’s involvement in any criminal cases has still not been ascertained.

Dr Arvind Sharma, medical superintendent of Yashoda hospital, said: “His condition is stable but he is still under treatment at the ICU.”


also read

Telangana: Engg student kills self, note says 'due to ragging'

blog comments powered by Disqus