Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,02 Oct 2014

Proceedings over Shukla’s age row deferred again

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Lucknow, June 14, 2013
First Published: 14:37 IST(14/6/2013) | Last Updated: 14:43 IST(14/6/2013)

The Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) has deferred the proceedings related to age row of prime accused of 2005 Ashiana gang rape case till June 18.

Advertisement

The board had earlier decided to hear the arguments of both the parties - accused Gaurav Shukla and the victim - on Thursday but extended the date after Shukla filed an adjournment application.Shukla said he wanted time to file appeal in the district and sessions court against ending of the deadline to prove his juvenility at the time of crime.

The board had ended the deadline on May 30 and fixed the argument date after Shukla failed to produce any evidence in support of his claim within the stipulated time period.“Shukla has provided false information before the board. He had filed appeal before the district and sessions court earlier on Thursday and still, on the same day, demanded extension of the argument date on the same ground before the JJB,” said Jalaj Gupta, the victim’s counsel. Terming Shukla’s moves as delay tactics, Gupta added, “We would raise this point before the board on the next date and request to expedite the matter,” he added.

Meanwhile, the district and sessions court have admitted Shukla’s appeal and summoned the case documents from the lower court before they issue further order in the case.

Earlier, on March 21, this court had ordered the JJB to provide chance to Shukla to prove his juvenility. The court gave this order after Shukla’s petition that he was not given enough chances to prove he was a juvenile.While allowing time to Shukla, the court had ordered the JJB to give its decision after reconsidering the evidences produced by him within two months. The court also directed Shukla to produce evidences before the JJB in a month’s time. Shukla, however, did not turn up before the JJB on three scheduled dates while the victim’s father attended every hearing regularly.

The JJB had earlier pronounced Shukla an adult on January 15.

The controversy over Shukla’s age has been on ever since his name surfaced in the gang rape.Shukla and his five friends had allegedly gangraped a 13-year-old domestic help after abducting her from Ashiana area on May 2, 2005. The conviction of the other five accused has been done, while Shukla’s court trial has not started yet due to the age row.


Advertisement
more from Lucknow

Lucknow rape victim's kids join dharna for CBI probe

Children of a 35-year-old widow, who was found brutally murdered in the Mohanlalganj area, on Friday joined a dharna that her family has been holding at Lucknow's GPO Crossing for the past three days to demand a CBI probe in the case.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved