Social activist Medha Patkar has entered the eight day of her indefinite hunger strike to protest eviction of slumdwellers in Golibar.
Patkar, who has been fasting at the same location where the houses earlier existed, is demanding a stop to demolition until the inquiry into the matter is completed.
Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan had ordered a probe against six developers after Patkar alleged they were involved in illegal activities under Mumbai’s Slum Rehabilitation Authority (SRA) scheme.
A demolition took place on April 2 and 3 in the Golibar area, evicting 43 houses and displacing more than 200 people.
Earlier in the month, the housing and poverty alleviation minister, Ajay Maken, had sent a written letter to the chief minister, asking him to look into the matter.
“Since the day Patkar has been on her strike, not a single government official has come forward to solve the issue. She is determined to continue her fast despite feeling week,” said Sudesh Pawar, an activist.
The high court had said that all residents should be moved to camps fit for habitation with registered agreements.
“Displaced families are suffering in inhabitable transit camps that have no ventilation or water supply,” said Jameel Shaikh, activist, Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao Andolan.
More than 500 slum dwellers have joined Patkar in a relay fast every day, said an activist of the Andolan.