Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,26 Dec 2014

Cabinet panel on Uttarakhand formed

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, July 10, 2013
First Published: 23:25 IST(10/7/2013) | Last Updated: 23:52 IST(10/7/2013)

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday constituted a cabinet committee to oversee the reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts of flood-ravaged Uttarakhand.

 
Uttarakhand chief minister Vijay Bahuguna had said recently it would take at least three years to rebuild large parts of the Garhwal region that had been severely affected by the flood.

Advertisement

The new panel will provide “broad guidance to reconstruction and rehabilitation efforts in Uttarakhand, and take such decisions, as may be required”, said a notification issued by the cabinet secretariat.

Ministers AK Antony, Sharad Pawar, P Chidambaram, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Sushilkumar Shinde, Oscar Fernandes, Kapil Sibal, Girija Vyas, Jairam Ramesh and Harish Rawat are members of the panel.

Planning Commission deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Uttarakhand CM Vijay Bahuguna and National Disaster Management Authority vice-chairman M Shashidhar Reddy are the permanent invitees to the cabinet committee.

The Prime Minister has announced Rs. 1,000 crore as disaster relief. And the state is also expecting assistance of around Rs. 3,000 crore from the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank for reconstruction work. Sources added the cabinet committee would also take a call on how to spend the money.

Rain continues, 11 dead in separate incidents
 
As it continued to rain in Uttarakhand, 11 people died in two separate incidents in the past 24 hours. In Dhikauna village of Chamoli, seven persons of a family were buried in their sleep after a portion of the house collapsed.

In another incident, four persons were killed when an earth-moving machine slipped into a ditch while repairing a road at Dwarikhal Development Block in Pauri Garhwal.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Monkey scam brewing in Delhi: Maneka Gandhi

Over 1,000 monkeys may have died in Delhi's Asola Bhatti wildlife sanctuary after pending bills stopped their food supplies earlier this month, women and child development minister Maneka Gandhi said on Thursday, terming the procurement of fruits and vegetables a Rs 200 crore scam.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved