Barely a week after the Supreme Court restricted the sale of acid, a 22-year-old domestic help was attacked early Friday morning by a married man who stalked her for about four years.
She had repeatedly rejected his advances.
Nisha Sheikh from Madhepura in Bihar, who lives at Vijay Nagar in Ghaziabad, was on her way to work at 7:15 am when Lakhan Saxena, a gas agency employee in nearby Sahibabad, came on a bike and threw acid on her near a high-rise at the Crossings-Republik township.
Saxena, 28, lives in Vasundhara and used to be her neighbour at Vijay Nagar.
“A number of parents were waiting near the housing society gate to put their children on school buses. She came running and screaming in pain. Her clothes, hair and other parts of her body were burnt. She said someone had thrown acid on her.
A local resident drove her to the hospital,” Upendra Pratap Singh, security chief of the GH-7 building, told HT.
A half-litre bottle of amyl alcohol — used for testing milk — and damaged clothes were found at the spot. The accused had purchased the bottle for Rs. 120.
The woman, a mother of two, was rushed to MMG district hospital.
Doctors said she had suffered 40-50% burns on the right side of her body — face, chest and abdomen. She lost her consciousness while being treated.
“He followed me everywhere for about four years. He told me that he loved me and wanted to be with me. A couple of months ago he had threatened to disfigure my face with acid and he did it today after I repeatedly refused his advances,” Sheikh told HT.
The police said Lakhan was from Badaun district of UP. He fled after the attack and reportedly shifted his family to a different location before attacking Sheikh.
Police teams later picked up some of his family members, including his brother.
“Our teams are on the job and the culprit will soon be arrested. We have also picked up some of his relatives who are helping us,” said senior superintendent of police Dharmendra Singh.
Are you an acid attack victim? Do you know an acid attack victim? Tell us your story