If you are having persistent shoulder pain or breathing trouble, then consult your doctor immediately.Usually, 60% of people suffer heart attack due to excess weight, diabetes and cholesterol. But the rest (40%) have cardiac ailments due to reasons that are not known to them. Such people,
especially those with a family history of heart attacks, should remain vigilant about their health, say doctors.
Around 300 experts from all over the country would be identifying reasons for various heart ailments and discuss ways to prevent them at the 19th annual scientific conference -- Cardiocon 2013 -- to be held on Saturday and Sunday at the Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS).
The theme of the discussion would be ‘Implementing Evidence Based Guidelines in Clinical Practice’.
Dr PK Goel, head of department, cardiology, SGPGIMS, said: “In recent years, there has been a tendency of optimisation of medical practice through the application of evidence-based guidelines. Clinicians have become increasingly reliant on clinical practice guidelines to help them decide on the treatment options, which are most appropriate for the management of their patients. All these guidelines would be discussed in the conference.”
Goel said PGI plans to launch a special cardiac ambulance service for heart patients in which ECG would be connected with the Internet so that the report could be sent immediately to the expert sitting in the hospital.
Primary facilities would be available in the ambulance that would enable the paramedical staff in the ambulance to start treatment. And when the patient reaches hospital, doctors would waste no time in deciding about the course of treatment, he added.