Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,17 Apr 2014

India

93 blasts convicts do a Munnabhai
Sunil Shivdasani
Mumbai, May 17, 2007
First Published: 03:16 IST(17/5/2007)
Last Updated: 05:16 IST(17/5/2007)

Of the 100 convicted for the ’93 Mumbai serial blasts, 93 have chosen co-convict and actor Sanjay Dutt as their role model.

They want the court to let them off on the same grounds that Dutt is seeking release: good behaviour.

The designated Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act judge, PD Kode, did not seem too harsh about the requests either.

He said on Wednesday he would call for a report from the half-a-dozen probation officers who had been keeping an eye on the convicts who sought release under the Probation of Offenders Act.

He asked the Central Bureau of Investigation to submit a list of probation officers with their names and addresses to help the court call for a report.

He, however, did not spell out who the beneficiaries could be.

The probation Act allowed the court to release a person convicted of offences that were not punishable by death or a life sentence, said Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.

Email author: sunil.shivdasani@hindustantimes.com


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved