1) You have extended your design concept to interiors, furniture, accessories etc. How and when did you come up with the idea of home décor? What inspired you towards this line?
Valaya Home, our interior décor label was introduced when we launched our flagship store in New Delhi in 1996. The range includes soft furnishings, furniture and signature tapestries.
In a creative process, it is virtually impossible (and unfair) to draw boundaries around oneself as far as expression is concerned. Also, on a personal level, I harbour a tremendous interest in interior design.
2) Who are your clients and what is the response to this collection?
For this label the clients have been mainly from overseas (especially the US) as well as some established business families and groups in India. Besides them, the collection has also found its way into the homes of various royal families from across the world.
3) You have diversified into apparel, fabric, soft furnishing, furniture and footwear. What innovation in fabric, furniture and accessories you are showcasing in these?
Our strength has been our knowledge and expertise in understanding fabric, colour and surface ornamentation, be it printing, dyeing or embroideries.
4) How do you strike a balance between such varied lines?
On the contrary, dabbling in various creative fields is most exciting and rewarding.
6) What can one look forward to in future - any new / more projects in the pipeline in this context?
Valaya Home is on the threshold of a major boost in terms of infrastructure and exposure. Will let you know more when it happens.