Rescue efforts by the state government helped 1,608 tourists from Maharashtra stranded in Uttarakhand, out of an estimated 2,949, to return home on Sunday, authorities said.
Another 400 pilgrims are expected to take a train out of Haridwar on Sunday night.
Most of the tourists are stranded at Gaurikund, Sukhitop, Badrinath, Rambada, Gangotri, Jamnotri and Jangalchatti.
So far, 1,775 tourists and pilgrims have reported to the five control rooms set up by the state government in Uttarakhand.
The state is now focusing on Badrinath, where around 400 people are believed to be stranded.
Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan, who was scheduled to tour the affected areas on Sunday, could not do so as his plane could not land at Dehradun because of bad weather.
He then reviewed the relief centre in Delhi and interacted with the families rescued and taken there.
“Our two helicopters kept for rescue operations have scanned the areas of Gaurikund and Kedarnath and rescued several people.
As of now, we are concentrating on Badrinath as the area is vulnerable, there are no roads and there is prediction of heavy rain,” said IA Kundan, who heads the state disaster management cell.
Every person who is air-lifted is taken to a camp set up by the Maharashtra government, given medical aid and Rs2,000. After registering the person, the state arranges for a train or flight ticket to send the person home.
There are around 250 people staying at Maharashtra Sadan in Delhi, who are to head to Mumbai.
Authorities have booked special bogeys on trains to get people back to the city.
Earlier this week, Chavan announced a relief package of Rs10 crore that was sent to the Uttar Pradesh government, and Rs50 lakh to the resident commissioner of Maharashtra Sadan, for relief and rehabilitation.
The state also dispatched a team of 30 officials to coordinate the rescue mission.