Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,23 Aug 2014

Jalandhar

Big tragedy averted by villagers timely reaction
HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
Sultanpur Lodhi (Kapurthala), April 19, 2013
First Published: 19:45 IST(19/4/2013)
Last Updated: 19:47 IST(19/4/2013)

A spark from high-tension wires passing over the fields in Jhallwala village caused the stubble to catch fire, which could have led to an explosion as the fire spread towards a 220 KV electricity feeder. The spread of the blaze was aided by long congress grass.


Villagers and officials from fire department struggled for over two hours to put out the fire, which enveloped more than 2.5 acres.

More than 20 people were deputed under block forest officer Jasbir Singh to control the fire.

"Repair work was on in the feeder plant and all transformers were filled with highly inflammable oil. There would have been a major tragedy, if villagers and officials had failed to respond in time," said Dilbagh Singh, a local resident.

Sultanpur Lodhi SDM Kuldeep Singh Chandi reached the spot and strongly pulled up the electricity board officials for failure to clear the long congress grass outgrowth, near the feeder.

"An inquiry has been marked to look into the reasons for the fire. We have also appealed to the farmers and residents to be vigilant and cautious about the increasing number of fire incidents these days. I have directed the officials to clear the grass present in the area completely, as this can be very dangerous."


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved