A medical student from the state of Bihar was found dead in Nepal on Monday, leading to a police investigation.
Abhijit Sinha, an MBBS final year student at the BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, an autonomous university, was found dead in the university hostel, in Dharan town in
eastern Nepal's Sunsari district.
Two tablets of an anti-depressant cum sedative drug were found near the body, giving rise to fears that the student could have overdosed himself, the hostel warden, BN Yadav, told IANS.
Sinha - in his mid-20s, who hailed from Bihar's Muzaffarpur - had been depressed following the results of the final year examinations on Monday afternoon, which showed him to have flunked the test.
Yadav said that it was Sinha's third attempt to pass the examination, having failed twice earlier.
He is also said to have had a past history of taking drugs, especially medically prescribed drugs.
The post-mortem examination was conducted early in the morning after which the body was handed over to Sinha's family members. Dharan police have started an investigation.
Sinha's death comes after another Indian student at the same university overdosed himself about six months ago and had to be rushed to the hospital.
There have been other reports of Indian students bingeing on drugs while studying in Nepal.
Away from the watchful eyes of their families, some students are diverted from their studies, do badly in examinations and turn to drugs.