Indian Railways: Key Facts
New Delhi, June 21, 2003
First Published: 11:58 IST(21/6/2003)
Last Updated: 15:14 IST(21/6/2003)
blog comments powered by
• The first train on Indian soil ran in Bombay between Bori Bunder to Thane on 16th of April, 1853.
• Indian Railways has over 62,000 route kms of track.
• Indian Railways employs about 1.6 million
• Indian Railways carries over 11 million passengers & one million tonnes of freight everyday.
• It runs about 13,000 trains daily and has 6,984 railway stations.
• The longest journey on Indian Railways is from Jammu Tawi to Kanyakumari, a distance of about 3,751 kms covered by Himsagar Express in about 66 hours.
• The longest railway platform in the world is at Kharagpur measuring 2,733 ft in length.
• Nehru Setu on river Sone is the longest Railway Bridge.
• The longest tunnel is on Konkan Railway, which is 6.5 km in length.
• Calcutta METRO is the first and only underground Railway in India.
• Computerised reservation system first started in New Delhi in 1986.
• First electric train ran on 3rd Feb, 1925 between Bombay VT and Kurla.
• Toilets on Trains were introduced in 1891 in 1st Class & in 1907 in lower classes.
• 42 Railway companies operated in the country before Independence.
• Indian Railways is presently divided into 17 Zonal Railways.
• Fairy Queen (1855) is the oldest preserved locomotive in the working order.
• The Manufacture of steam locomotives in the country stopped in 1972.
• Diesel Locomotives are manufactured at DLW, Varanasi. Electric locomotives are manufactured at CLW, Chittaranjan. Coaches are manufactured at ICF/Madras, RCF/Kapurthala & BEML/Bangalore.
• Indian Railways' fastest train is the Bhopal-Shatabdi, which runs at a speed up to 140 Kmph.
• 1st A.C. , 2nd A.C. , 3rd A.C. , A.C. Exec. Chair Car, A.C. Chair car, 1st Class, IInd Sleeper & IInd Ordinary are the various classes of travel on the IR.
• IR's only Rack & Pinion system type of line is from Kallar to Coonoor.
• The National Rail Museum at New Delhi was set up in 1977.