An active volunteer of Maha Gujarat Movement in 1956 and anti-emergency movement in 1975, he is one of the most senior BJP leaders of the state.
Born on 28th January 1939, he has been elected to Gujarat assembly for six times since 1975 and served as minister for four times during
the span. He was holding the Health & Family Welfare portfolio in Modi government when the assembly was dissolved.
Following is his brief bio-data
* Date of Birth: 28-01-39
* Educational Qualifications: SSC, STC
* Constituency: (75) Khadia (Amdavad city)
Member of --
(1) Fifth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1975-80,
(2) Sixth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1980-85,
(3) Seventh Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1985-90,
(4) Eightth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1990-95,
(5) Nineth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1995-98,
(6) Tenth Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1998-2003.
* Member, Public Accounts Committee, July 1985 to February 1988 and its Chairman from 27th February 1989 to 11th March 1990.
* Minister for Civil Supplies Department from 12th March to 26th October 1990.
* Minister for Revenue, Jails, Labour and Employment from 19th March 1995 to 21st October 1995.
* Minister for Revenue (Except Draught Relief) and employment from 4th November 1995 to 19th September 1996.
* Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Labour and Employment since 13th March 1998.
* Deputy Whip of the Janata Party in Gujarat Legislative Assembly, 1975-76.
* Whip of Bharatiya Janata Party in the Gujarat Legislative Assembly during 1980-90.
* Participated in the Maha Gujarat Movement in 1956 as an active student worker from Khadia.
* As Secretary of Bharatiya Jansangh (Khadia Ward) helped people in solving their problems by leading anti-corruption and anti-price rise agitation.
* As Joint Secretary of Bharatiya Janata Party (Gujarat Region) in 1976 and 1977-80 as President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morch he led many agitations like Nav Nirman Agitation, Public Agitations and labour agitation.
* Sufferred imprisonment during emergency.
* Managing Trustee, City High School, Raipur, Amdavad
* Chairman, Gujarat Slum Clearance Board, 1977-80
Block No. 1, 6th Floor, New Sachivalay,
Gandhinagar - 382 010.
Phone : 3220062
Bunglow No. 25, Ministers' Enclave,
Sector-20, Gandhinagar - 382 020