Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,13 Jul 2014

Hyderabad Blasts

Hyd blasts: court sends IM terrorists to NIA custody
HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, February 28, 2013
First Published: 21:47 IST(28/2/2013)
Last Updated: 03:35 IST(1/3/2013)

A Delhi court Thursday sent two alleged operatives of banned terrorist organisation Indian Mujahideen (IM) to five-day custodial interrogation by NIA officers for their involvement in the serial blasts which left 16 dead in Hyderabad on February 21.

The Delhi police had arrested Syed Maqbool and Imran Khan for their alleged role in the August 2012 Pune blasts.

The NIA had approached the district court, seeking custody of the alleged terrorists, who are currently lodged in the Tihar jail.

The NIA officials told the court that Maqbool and Khan last year recced Hyderabad's Dilsukhnagar area where the blasts occurred.

The NIA officials told district judge IS Mehta that the two are suspected members of IM and their sustained custodial interrogation is required to unearth the module which was behind the blasts.

According to the investigating agency, the blasts took place on the alleged instructions of IM's Pakistan-based founder Riyaz Bhatkal and the duo's interrogation will help in unearthing the exact plan envisaged by him.

The blasts in Hyderabad were triggered by IEDs planted near Konark and Venkatadiri theatres in Dilsukhnagar.

The court had on February 25 issued production warrants and had directed the authorities of Tihar Jail to produce the suspected IM operatives before it on February 27.

The two were lodged in prison after being arrested by the Special Cell of the Delhi Police in connection with the August 2012 Pune blast case.


Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved