Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,23 Aug 2014

Farmers see new hope with implementation of irrigation project

Kamaldeep Singh Brar, Hindustan Times  Bathinda , July 14, 2013
First Published: 23:22 IST(14/7/2013) | Last Updated: 23:23 IST(14/7/2013)

Farmers of Nangla village in the district have managed to move away from the tag of a dependent rain-fed agriculture region to an irrigated region, thanks to the laying of the Underground Pipeline System (UGPS).

Advertisement

Large agricultural areas of Nangla, 15 km from Talwandi Sabo, was just desert before the introduction of the centrally-sponsored Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY) scheme.

Most farmers have small land holdings are poor and it was impossible to grow crops due to a large quantity of alkali salts coming forth on the alkali surface.

Punjab soil and water conservation, department chief Mohinderpal Singh said that the scheme was implemented in the state in 2010-11."An extensive 8-km RCC underground pipeline of 700 mm diameter was laid to ferry 3.72 cusecs of canal water for irrigating the fields of farmers of Nangla village from the Mirjeana Minor."

"The total cost of the project was Rs. 1.36 crore, of which Rs. 1.22 crore (90 per cent) was provided as subsidy from RKVY. The rest of the 10 per cent was contributed by the poor farmers as labour in the form of laying the pipeline."

He added that after the execution of the project, 1,222 acres received assured irrigated water and regular crops could be grown there .The project benefited 568 farmers, including 30 SC beneficiaries.

He said that after implementation of the project, the yield of wheat doubled from 10 quintals to 20 quintals per acre. Farmers could also diversify into cotton, fodder and vegetables.He also claimed that land prices had gone up and farmers were also able to shift to supplementary dairy items like dairying.

"The UGPS has not only helped in saving of farm land under katcha channels but also saved labour and diesel costs. It is a model village and its success can easily be replicated to other villages," said Singh.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Bathinda

Within a year, 'rehris' back on Clock Tower road in Faridkot

Though the district administration had, a year ago, banned vegetable and fruit 'rehris' on the Clock Tower road, known as Thandi sadak, and shifted them to the Sadak chowk road, vacating the space for parking and smooth flow of traffic, yet many 'rehris' have again come back to the old site again.
Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved