Players who were part of the Indian teams that won the men's World Cup Kabbadi title in 2011 continue to wait for the promised government jobs.
The assurance of employment after victory had come from none other than chief minister Parkash Singh Badal, yet eight of the 14 champion players remain without work. Gurvinder Kahlvan, Ekam Hathoor, Sandeep Dirva, Babbu Kheran Wali, Nindi Benda, Kaka Ghaniwal, Sonu Jump, and Sikander Kanjali are the disgruntled athletes, while the rest on the team haven't received jobs that do justice to their qualifications.
Pleased with the performance of the Indian team in the international tournament last year, the CM had declared that the Punjab government would give all its members good jobs. Gurvinder Kahlvan, Ekam Hathoor and Sonu Jump have joined the selection camp for the third edition of the world cup that opens in Bathinda on December 1. Five other players have stayed away.
The players at the camp would rather not protest, for it might spoil their chances of making it to the team again. "Players don't want to be seen building pressure on the government for jobs, as it might push them out of the circle kabaddi team and upcoming big-money tournaments," said an athlete, on the condition of anonymity. "We have no other but to be patient."
The government had tried to give work to all winning players, said sports director Shivdular Singh. "However, some players who do not have good qualifications demanded status jobs," he added. "We are trying to find openings for all."