Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,20 Sep 2014

Angry families of abducted crew members lash out at govt

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Chandigarh, March 07, 2011
First Published: 23:17 IST(7/3/2011) | Last Updated: 23:18 IST(7/3/2011)

Family members of the Indian merchant navy officers held by Somali pirates have alleged that the government isn’t taking any initiative to get the hostages freed.

Advertisement

At a press conference held here on Sunday, the families said the pirates, in a telephonic conversation last week, had given them a week to arrange a ransom of $4 million (approximately R18 crore).

Madhu Sharma, wife of NK Sharma from Jammu, who is a crew member on MV Suez, said the owner of the company had expressed his inability to pay the ransom.

Five of the hostage merchant navy officers are onboard MV Suez, an Egyptian cargo ship and one officer is onboard MV Ice Berg cargo ship.

“Seven months have passed since the hostage. Despite repeated requests to the Centre, there seems to be no plan for freeing the officers,” said Pushpa Chauhan, mother of merchant navy officer Prashant Chauhan, 23, from Shimla. “They are getting food after two or three days,” she said.  Sampa Arya, wife of MV Suez officer Ravinder S Gulia from Rohtak said the government was not taking the matter seriously. “Had the relative of any minister been among the hostages, there would have been a prompt reaction by the government,” she said.

Rigan Singh, brother of Jaswinder Singh, who was onboard MV Ice Berg, also complained that there seemed no solution in sight.

President of the Merchant Navy Officers Association, Chandigarh, Ajit Singh, charged the central government with not being sensitive on this issue. “According to an estimate, 136 Indians are in captivity of these pirates, some of them for more than 11 months,” he said.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Chandigarh

SC order brings new hope to state’s MBBS aspirants

The Supreme Court interim order that allowed admission to some medical colleges on Friday will bring 150 more MBBS seats to the state, raising the hopes of the students who cleared the AIPMT (All-Indian Pre-Medical Test) but couldn’t afford to pay the high management-quota fee.
Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved