A couple was charred to death after they allegedly set themselves ablaze, following an altercation at their Sector-46 government accommodation here on Saturday morning.
The deceased have been identified as Sanjay Kumar, 40, who worked with the Indian Air Force's 3 BRD (base repair
depot) as a cook and his wife Sushma, 34. They got engulfed in fire in the kitchen of their house around 10am.
The charred bodies of the couple were recovered from the kitchen. The couple got married seven years ago and had a five-year-old son.
Diwan Singh, SHO of the Sector-34 police station, said preliminary investigations revealed that both husband and wife had a tiff in the morning, following which Sanjay went to consume liquor at a vend near his house. Sushma went to the vend along with their son Aryan and asked Sanjay to come home.
They both had an altercation over Sanjay's drinking habit, following which the couple poured kerosene or diesel before setting themselves afire.
The bodies have been sent for a post-mortem. The Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) team reached the spot and took samples for examination before sealing the house.
Neighbours told the police that Sanjay had got the salary and Sushma wanted to stop her husband from wasting money on liquor. Both reached home arguing over the issue.
Meanwhile, Sanjay gave some money to his son to buy a toy, leaving him at his neighbour's house. Within a few minutes, the neighbours heard shrieks from the couple's house and saw smoke billowing out of the kitchen window.
The neighbours immediately informed the police control room about the fire. A fire brigade was pressed into service to control the blaze. However, the couple could not be saved.
Inquest proceedings have been initiated in the incident. Police sources said the couple used to fight often over Sanjay's drinking habits.
For more details, read Hindustan Times