Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,27 Aug 2014

Man dupes wife of Rs. 1.15 crore

HT Live correspondent, Hindustan Times  Ludhiana, September 30, 2012
First Published: 20:22 IST(30/9/2012) | Last Updated: 20:24 IST(30/9/2012)

In an alleged case of a man duping his wife, an NRI transferred Rs. 1.15 crore from a joint account with her to another bank in Ludhiana. The NRI couple had been living through a strained relationship.

Advertisement


A case has been registered at the NRI police station in Ludhiana as the money was transferred.  Manjeet Kaur, a native of Bholath village, in Kapurthala is the complainant.

A case has been registered against Tarsem, his father Surjit Singh, residents of Bains Avan village in Hoshiarpur, and an unidentified woman.

Manjeet Kaur, who lives in the US, has given the power of attorney to pursue the case to her father Harbhajan Singh.

The complainant has stated that the husband-wife duo of Tarsem and Manjeet, had bought an insurance policy worth Rs. 42.22 lakh in 2007. Both of them also had a joint account in the Oriental Bank of Commerce, Jalandhar, with Rs. 81 lakh in deposit.

Tarsem is alleged to have encashed the policy by getting an unidentified lady to impersonate Manjeet. Nearly Rs. 34 lakh thus taken out were deposited in the joint account in Oriental Bank of Commerce.

Tarsem then transferred the entire amount in the OBC account (Rs 1.15 crore) was then transferred to an ICICI Bank in Ludhiana through cheques.

Investigations have revealed that Manjeet's signatures on the cheques were forged and that the three accused had shifted to a safe haven with the money.

Station house officer of NRI police station inspector Gopal Kishen said that the Forensic Science Laboratory had confirmed that the cheques were forged. "A case has been registered and investigations are on ," said Kishen.

comment Note: By posting your comments here you agree to the terms and conditions of www.hindustantimes.com
blog comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement
more from Ludhiana

MC not serious on unsafe buildings

The municipal corporation (MC) is waiting for a disaster to take place as it has failed to take action against unsafe buildings in the city. Despite sending notices to violators since 2009, no action was taken against many of the unsafe buildings.

Advertisement

 
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved