Shah Rukh Khan might have repeatedly apologised for last year's Wankhede incident, expressing regret even two days ago in Kolkata, but the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) doesn't seem to be in a mood to relent.
The association, instead, wants the Bollywood star and Kolkata Knight Riders' co-owner to apologise to them directly if he wishes to get his ban lifted and watch his team in action at the stadium.
KKR will face Mumbai Indians on Tuesday, the first time the defending champions will be playing at the venue since the infamous incident. An angry Shah Rukh had fought with the security personnel after his young daughter and her friends were stopped from entering the ground following a KKR victory. The MCA imposed a five-year ban on the actor. "The apology has not been addressed to the MCA directly. If he comes directly to the MCA, then we can consider his apology," its president Ravi Sawant told HT.
Even if Shah Rukh does apologise, he is unlikely to be allowed entry for Tuesday's match. "He was banned by the MCA managing committee and any decision to overturn the ban can only be taken by it, which seems unlikely given that the match is scheduled on Tuesday," said MCA sources.
While expressing regret, Shah Rukh had jokingly said he might resort to wearing a mask to hoodwink the stadium authorities. But he later said he will not take any chances and instead stand outside the stadium and cheer his team.
The cricket Board has made attempts to bring about an amicable solution but MCA sources said no one from the parent body has met the association office-bearers so far.