The decks were cleared late last night by Justice K Venkataraman, who granted the interim stay of operation of the order made under Section 144 of the CrPC by District Collectors across the state that had prevented release of the movie made with a nearly Rs. 100 crore budget.
Advocate General A Navaneethakrishnan had said yesterday that the court's order was not final and would be challenged.
Justice Venkataraman, who had viewed the spy-thriller on Saturday, had passed the order considering the prima facie case established by Haasan, who questioned the two week ban, imposed after Muslim outfits were up in arms against its release claiming it portrayed their community in a bad light.
In his order, the court had said it was surprising that all District Magistrates/District Collectors of 31 districts, had taken a common decision and passed an order under Section 144 of CrPC "which appears to be strange."
The court had also noted that no independent reason had been given by Collectors and they solely relied on the statement of Muslim organisations.
The court's order on Tuesday had come as a big relief for Haasan, with estimates that he could have incurred a loss of Rs. 30-80 crore due to non-release of the film in the state.
The film, made in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi, had encountered problems in Karnataka also, but is now being screened across the state after police provided adequate security.