iconimg Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Press Trust Of India
Srinagar, February 07, 2013
One more person was arrested by police in connection with the online abuses and threats to Kashmir's first all-girl rock band which was forced to quit taking the total number of arrests in the case to three.

Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah today expressed happiness over the arrests made in the Valley and said more people were likely to be apprehended.

Irshad Ahmad Chara, a resident of Batamaloo in Srinagar, was arrested late last night by the police, which was raiding different places to apprehend him.

The other two youths--Tariq Khan and Rameez Shah--were apprehended a few hours earlier from Bijbehara and Ganderbal on Thursday night in the first arrests in the case.

The three-member all-girl band 'Pragaash' was forced to call it quits following the online threats and a fatwa by Grand Mufti Bashiruddin Ahmad that singing was 'un-islamic' and that the girls should abandon it.

Police have started tracking down the Internet Protocol addresses of the 26 users whose comments, out of the total 900 posts on the band's Facebook page, were found abusive, officials said in Srinagar.

They said the delay of three days in lodging the FIR was due to large number of posts on the Facebook page of the all-girl band that took time to get scanned.

A case has been registered under Section 66A of Information Technology(IT) Act and Section 506 RPC (criminal intimidation) in the Rajbagh police station in Srinagar.

Omar while expressing happiness over the arrests during a visit to Dargah of Sufi saint Khawaja Moinuddin Chisiti in Ajmer said more arrests were likely.

He said some of those who had issued threats had left the Valley and police were trying to nab them.

Omar, however, maintained there was no need for legal action against the grand mufti who issued Fatwa terming singing as un-Islamic.

The chief minister had earlier posted on the micro-blogging site Twitter he was glad the police in Kashmir has identified and arrested those who had issued online threats.

"I'm told more arrests possible," he tweeted.

Director General of J&K Police Ashok Prasad, who is closely monitoring the case, has directed stepping up of patrolling in the areas where two of the three girls of the group reside.