The Delhi High Court’s decision to let the nursery admission process go on as planned and to allow schools to admit students through the points system has brought much-needed relief to parents.
The high court had, during the hearing, criticised the Delhi government for the way the
nursery admissions had been conducted in the city, making a number of parents as well as schools anxious about what would happen next.
“Some schools had stayed their admissions because of the first list. It just increased the uncertainty. The same thing happened last year as well when the case regarding the minimum age for nursery admission stretched on till the middle of January. There is finally some clarity and we can all get on with the admissions now,” said Shantanu Das, a government employee whose daughter is set to go to nursery this year.
But it is not just the parents who are relieved. Schools, too, are at ease after the verdict. Following the guidelines framed by the Directorate of Education (DoE), the schools had come up with a points system for the students under the general category.
“We are happy that the verdict is finally out and that it is in the favour of schools. The points system we had employed was according to the rules and was fair. We followed all rules and we welcome the judgment,” said Usha Ram, principal, Laxman Public School.
“The verdict is a relief to parents who have been worried for all these days about the future of their children,” said Ashok Pandey, principal, Ahlcon International School, Mayur Vihar.
Most schools had declared the first admission list according to the DOE calendar but some, such as Sardar Patel Vidyalaya, were waiting for the court’s order.
“We are having a meeting of the management committee on Wednesday and will decide on the further course of action after that. We had suspended the admission till the high court verdict,” said Anuradha Joshi, principal, Sardar Patel Vidyalaya.
The schools are supposed to come out with the second admission list on February 28. Schools are supposed to come out with the list of economically weaker section (EWS) category students as well as general category students on the same day.
The process should be completed by March 30, according to the directorate of education guidelines.
© Copyright © 2013 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved.