Their father Amarjit Singh, who works as a daily labourer, said, “I was at work. My wife had gone out for some work and the children were home alone. The fire broke out due to short circuit and kids who were sleeping under a quilt died.” Though the villagers tried their best to save the children, they did not succeed, said Amarjit.
Confirming the incident, SP (detective), Jasdeep Singh said, “The tragedy happened at around 3pm. We have been told by the family that there was no power supply. As soon as the power supply resumed, there was a short circuit that led to the fire in the room where the kids were present.” Since the children were too young, their efforts to save themselves might have failed, he added.
They were cremated even before the police were sounded. SP (D) Jasdeep Singh said, “Since it is an unfortunate incident, we will see to it that the family gets compensation.”